Deeper Learning with Digital Portfolios
21st century learners need specific skills to be successful in college and the work force. As educators it is our job to provide them with the opportunities for deeper learning of content and technology, the ability to take ownership and express their voices through authentic learning experiences. The following is a plan of implementation of digital portfolios which will allow our students to develop those skills.
- Develop a lesson plan for introducing and implementing the digital portfolio for my students so that desired outcomes and rationale can be communicated.
- Have students review other student digital portfolios and platforms, and evaluate their components, benefits, and ease of use.
- Students will develop a list of meaningful components, goals, and a plan for their own portfolios.
- Ensure students have an opportunity to create various multimedia projects in the current curriculum. Have them use a variety apps to become comfortable creating, organizing, and storing documents and projects.
- Students will use computer labs to create digital projects from various subjects.
- Students create a multimedia About Me project to describe themselves.
- Students create a personal project to describe or document a hobby or interest.
- Begin student portfolios with their About Me entry, personal project entry, and their choice of one academic entry (including a reflection on learning).
- Have students develop a feedback form based on their stated goals.
- Ask students to share their portfolios with me, two other teachers, and three of their friends.
- Students provide feedback forms and review feedback from at least four people.
- Students will write a reflection of their work with the digital portfolio. This will be included in the digital portfolio.
- Select and share a group of student digital portfolios with school and district leaders.
- Collaborate with a team of leaders to develop a plan to increase student engagement with the portfolios.
- Continue working with original group of students to increase portfolio entries to one or more academic and personal entries each quarter.
- Collaborate with other teacher/student groups to implement digital portfolios in other courses.